June 24, 2009

Practical Wedges

As it turns out, rehearsing in this insane heat makes me play like an idiot, and sing like a drunk.

Yesterday's rehearsal was so wonky. We were all feeling out of it, and the room was baking us alive. I'm a big fan of the heat... But I don't like what it does to my band practice. Halfway through, the fan started clicking like a crazed bird, and we couldn't shut it off.

Today I really did get a vacation - no rehearsal, no office, no nothing. My BH had his first day of summer classes, so I dropped him off at the university and walked into the Market. I used to spend all my time in the Market, because I worked there and also because my BH lived there. I used to like it. Now the sheer number of people make me want to run away screaming. Either the Market got busier or I lost my patience.

I ducked into Letellier to avoid the throng, convincing myself as I walked through the door that a new pair of funky shoes will keep my confidence up at the show next week. I tried on several pairs of colourful, wild shoes, but they didn't have any in size TINY for my feet. So I walked out with a pair of black, practical wedges.

Not what I had in mind, but still nice. I'll have to re-think the outfit now.

Another fun heat-related tidbit: sun rash has started! Do any of you get sun rash? As I type, it is crawling across my feet and winding up my legs. I think I'll take a cold bath to stop the madness.

Oh, and if the sight of a violent red rash wasn't attractive enough, I also have a hickey on my neck. Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

kerri said...

You might want to try Traumeel for your heat rash. It's a homeopathic wonder cream that helps just about everything—cuts, burns, bruises, muscle soreness, pimples, rashes. Seriously, it's magic.

Nat said...

The Boy gets hives and a rash... poor kid. Lots of cool baths for him.

Me... I just get THE CHAFING ... I'm big girl with big legs. All I'm going to say.

Stella said...

Kerri: I've got a tube of it... I'll try it out tonight!

Nat: I'm very familiar with The Chafe. I wear shorts under all my skirts. Also good for when the wind blows things upwards...

MAdele said...

I don't get heat rash, but I get what I call "travel lumps" when I travel in sunny, hot places (but I didn't get them in Hawaii, for some reason!). These weird little lumps appear on top of my head, sometimes on my forehead near my hairline. After a couple of days they sort of scab over, then disappear. O_O I still haven't figured out what causes them...

kerri said...

Re: The Chafe – two words: Body Glide. You can buy it at The Running Room. It has changed my life.