June 30, 2009

The First Night

This is me in my fancy dressing room, which even had my name on the door. I was a nervous wreck so I took dumb pictures of my feet and my reflection. It passed the time. Eventually I noticed there was free beer, so that helped things along. You know me and free beer.



This is a blurry picture of me on the stage at the Museum of Civ. theatre. The theatre was huge. Much bigger than I was expecting, and it was sold out. I was (still) a nervous wreck for the first song, but got into my goove pretty quickly and even made fun of the lovely Stuart MacLean whilst on stage. Teasing people is the quickest way to calm me down, other than having a nice cup of tea. Stuart didn't seem to mind. He certainly seemed to enjoy my songs. He didn't really hear our sound check, so I think our live performance was the first time he really heard us play. He was so kind, and kept asking me to keep bowing because people were still clapping.

I think the audience liked it too. They hooted and everything. The sound was amazing in there, and my voice just kinda floated around like it was on a cloud. When you have a good sound guy, it doesn't matter what you do with your voice. Everything just sounds so damn yummy.

This is us backstage watching Hawksley play. I love, love Hawksley. There's something very weird about meeting your musical idol as a peer instead of as rabid fan vs. crazy genius. I felt like an imposter, frankly, but I tried to be myself and chatted away as inappropriately as I do with most people I meet. I talked about how the leather couches in the lounge looked like old skin, and Hawksley made a joke about old balls. I love joking about old balls! I felt more at ease after that. We talked about songwriting and he said he has another two albums worth of music written and ready to go. I told him I was having problems writing songs at home. He said he often needs to get away from his home to write, and that made me feel better. He said sometimes you need to remove yourself from your comfort zone to get the songs out.
Then I talked about Morty for a while, because who doesn't want to hear about a gassy bulldog? Stuart even pitched in to share some stories about his dog. Aah, animals. I love them.


These are my boys joking around in the dressing room. Jeff was doing a little dance and Brian was playing some Chet Baker. I'm so happy I got to play with these two... They are some of my favourite people.


I guess you could say that the first night was a real success. I'm looking forward to tonight's show even more, because I have a better idea of what to expect. Unfortunately it's really hard to get out to talk to people after the show... The intermission is so short and they have to strike the stage at the end of the night. If I don't get to hug all of you in person, thanks in advance for coming out to support me! I promise not to talk about old balls on stage.
That's what the blog is for, after all.
Oh, and my laptop is fixed, a cool $270 later. That means y'all get to see some pictures again!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm so happy to hear the first night rocked! Good luck tonight, can't wait to hear it on Saturday morning.

Shawna said...

This is amazing :)

Also, nice legs, hot stuff.

Also, Jeff sure has grown one hell of a beard - and in summer no less!

You're on stage right now!

Nat said...

Sounds like a great experience. :) I'm glad Hawksley didn't disappoint.

Evey said...

You were FAB, girl! My friends who hadn't heard you before fell in love with you right away. And you looked great in that skirt.

Congratulations!

MAdele said...

I'm so happy for you! Wish I could have been there...

Do you have any gigs planned for between Aug. 1st and 15th? It's when I'll be in town, and if you do, I'll definitely try to make it! And even if you don't, we'll have to hang out. ^_^