September 29, 2009

My Brat

|

I've talked before about how I find it hard to write songs in my apartment, right?

This is largely because of Morty, who is a bonafied brat whenever I whip out an instrument. He is scared shitless of my banjo and my guitar, and is only slightly more tolerant of the piano. He cries and howls whenever I try to play a tune. A sure way to batter one's self esteem, musically speaking.

Sometimes I worry that people don't understand my need to be alone, REALLY alone, to write properly. I'm happiest writing in an empty house, with no puppies or partners to listen in. It's not a diva thing.... It's practical. There's a certain amount of focus needed to get a song right.

I'm happy to report that I finally have video evidence of how my little dude behaves when I play music in his presence. Please keep in mind that he is actually being really good in this clip. Seriously. And for those of you who are about to write "put him in another room!" just know that his volume increases fivefold when I do that.

Behold, Morty being comparatively quiet while I plunk out a song on the piano:


6 comments:

Greedie said...

poor little dude. but you HAVE to feel good about how clean and shiny your floor looks in this clip!!!!

raino said...

love love morty! and yeah, your floors are damn clean....

Laura said...

Poor Morty...poor you! I can totally relate to having to be alone to write...what a predicament!

Hey, I know, I will dog sit, then you come to my house and clean my floors and write some music...it is win win!

Milan said...

For the good of humanity, you need to find a quiet place to write some songs!

Bandobras said...

so you live with a stuck up British music critic. I say ignore him, insult the queen and he'll go away and sulk.

Hannah said...

LOL. He reminds me of one of my cats, who insists on coming between me and whatever I happen to be doing at the time. Painting, typing on the computer, sleeping, etc.