August 5, 2009

Umbrella FAIL

|

I bought myself a raincoat over the weekend. It's a real raincoat, in the sense that it's a coat that is also waterproof. One of those MEC contraptions. I haven't owned a raincoat since I was in summer camp. It's really quite thrilling!

So you can imagine my surprise when I left work yesterday sans fancy raincoat (the weather had been behaving all day), and the sky was black. The thunder was rumbling and I could see lightening in the distance. I had my work clothes on and a small purple umbrella that said "Shit, it's raining" in big letters on the side. I had no bus tickets and only $1.50 in change. Morty needed to be let out.

I walked home.

It only took about five minutes in that storm for my boots to start filling up with water. My pants were dripping wet, to the point where I had to wring them out when I got home. Half the time I didn't even bother using the umbrella, because the wind was pulling it in all directions anyway.

I do this thing in extreme weather - when I'm caught in a crazy blizzard or a rain storm or a wind storm or WHATEVER, I laugh hysterically. How could you not? There's no getting out of it, and you are at the mercy of a weather system. In a motherfucking storm. Might as well laugh.

So! What I mean to say is, if you saw a gal with a tired purple umbrella looking like a drowned rat and laughing hysterically in Centretown yesterday, that was me. Sorry if I didn't wave, but I was busy getting pummeled by mother nature.

When I got home, I changed into my pjs and watched Les Choristes. That is one good film. I might watch it again tonight. Has anyone else seen it? It's an especially good movie to cuddle a bulldog with, in case you've been needing such a thing....

My BH's time out in the woods is winding down, and frankly, it will be nice to have him back home. Having an empty apartment is a fun social experiment for a short period of time. I figured out how to manage myself pretty quickly. But Morty? Poor tyke. He misses my BH something fierce. I think it makes him especially needy, because lately I've been waking up with his squishy little face right against my cheek.

Where am I going with this post?

Oh yeah. I bought a raincoat.

0 comments: