July 10, 2009

The Youth These Days

|

Last night we walked down to Bluesfest and saw two shows: Iron & Wine, and Ben Harper.

I was actually most excited for Iron & Wine, but I ended up leaving the show early due to extreme boredom.

Not the fault of songwriter Mr. Beam necessarily, but he didn't have a band with him, and he was getting overpowered by the louder stages. I think his show would have been better in an intimate setting, where the chit chat and quiet songs can be appreciated. Instead, his music was drowned out by Metric and the HOARDES OF YELLING HIPSTERS that seem to have swallowed the festival whole.

Sorry if I sound naive, but I had no clue we had that many hipsters in Ottawa until last night. There were approximately 1 million. I don't event think it's the style that bugs me... It's more the spandex, bad tattoos and sunglasses at night phenomena. Drives me up the fucking wall. So melodramatic it hurts. Also? The clothes are generally unkind to anyone with curves. That's enough to turn me off. I love me some curves.

I think I'm done complaining about The Youth These Days. Apologies.

Anyway, we wandered down to the main stage to see Ben Harper. After a bit of jockeying to find a good place to stand, we ended up really enjoying the show. Ben Harper is like sex on a stick, frankly. The dude is hot. But his band was also a real treat... They were really tight and super skilled. I haven't listened to his music in, oh, ten years? More? Didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Then we went home and had some overdue birthday cake for two buddies, and I passed out sometime around 1am. Really, really sleepy today. I need to get a better sleep tonight, or Toronto is going to be a faceplant.

So folks, I'm reading at Blog Out Loud, but I don't know what to read. No idea. Do y'all have any favourite themes that I write about to help me narrow down my choices?

7 comments:

aandjblog said...

you should read the one about morty pooping in the hallway.. poor little guy

Hannah said...

I saw a picture in the Ottawa Citizen of the crowds at Bluesfest and couldn't believe either the number of young and dumb hipsters! (I thought they were all strictly into rap and emo music. LOL)

I agree with aandjblog..you should talk about Morty! He is a crowd pleaser! But I'm sure whatever you talk about will be great.:)

EK said...

I had the same problem with Iron and Wine! And I was so excited! However, I started with the hipsters (as a hipster? *cringe*) at the Metric show which was fine, but took itself way too seriously. And gave me a blinding headache which Iron and Wine cured. I still left early though.

Nat said...

That's the problem with concurring stages, I guess. (I wanted to check out Ben Harper, it just took too much organization.)

BOLO I am really nervous about. Definitely something about the dog and his rear end.

Anonymous said...

I might be showing my age, but what's a hipster?

I thought they were the beret-wearing beatniks who snapped their fingers along to jazz in the late 50's early 60's in small cafes? Do they still exist?

Iron and Wine was less than stellar because the crowd was extremely chatty, especially down in front. Them getting drowned out by the other stages also didn't help but the crowd chatting is downright disrespectful to a performer, IMO.

I can't understand paying good money for a ticket and then going to park yourself down in front just to chat with friends, rather than listen or bop along to the music (and don't get me started on lawnchairs!)...

Stella said...

J: I can certainly deliver a good pooping story...

Hannah: The crowds were INSANE. Seriously.

LC: I really like Metric, but when I caught the end of the show and she yelled "Don't let anyone step on your dreams!" I threw up in my mouth a bit.

Nat: Don't be nervous... I'll be cheering you on!

Anon: I totally agree with you... I think I was most bothered by the fact that all these people had paid for tickets just to go out and be seen. They didn't seem to care about the music, they just wanted to pick up.

Hipsters are basically just trendy kids... Right now the ultra-skinny jeans, 80s sunglasses, shiny spandex and bad hair seem to be in sytle. Wearing things ironically also seems to be the thing to do. Like, it's okay if it's ugly, because I'm not serious about it anyway.

Urban dictionary defines it better:

One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat.

Typically a Hipster can be identified by vintage or thrift-store bougt clothing, a taste for obscure or underground music, a penchant for irony and an elitist attitude.

Anonymous said...

I think you should read the nice thing you wrote about the BH. OR!! And here's a stunning idea -- and I don't know how you write songs but, why don't you preview some of your new song lyrics? That would be super cool