After the show, Stuart, Hawksley, myself and just about everyone else was backstage chatting. There was talk of real estate, Toronto, family, inspiration, the CBC... Stuff that made for interesting conversation.

I was nodding along, jumping in where I could. But in the back of my mind, there was a timer ticking away.

Have y'all met my dad? He's a special guy. He's worked in theatre his whole life, and he's not afraid of muscling his way backstage if he wants to chat to the folks in charge. I also needed someone to help me take all my gear home, since I am without car. As always.

This is why I knew it would only be a matter of seconds before my dad talked his way past the security guard. He would use my instruments as proof that he needed to be back there. He would probably bring my BH, who would be quietly squirming while my dad does his smooth talking. My BH prefers not to muscle his way backstage, but wouldn't deny my dad the pleasure.
I didn't doubt that my dad would show up; I was just hoping that he didn't stroll in while this great conversation was happening. How many times am I going to get to chat with folks like that? Not often, that's for sure. I was soaking it in.

Stuart finished his story, we all laughed, and then I heard it. My dad patting the security guard on the shoulder and saying, "Thanks, I'll just go in for a minute and find her!"

I just shook my head and said, "Guys, I think you're about to meet my dad."

Yes, my dad met the whole gang backstage, as did my BH. When my dad informed me that he had all the goods on the number of CDs I had sold, Hawksley looked over with wide eyes and said, "He sounds just like my dad. They should meet!"

*******************************************************

Today I'm feeling a bit worse for wear. I didn't drink much on Canada Day, but I was exhausted and still managed to stay up too late. Now I'm doubly exhausted and I don't know when I'm going to get a nap in. I may even be leaving for Peterborough after work tomorrow. Triple the tired.

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit sad. The show may have been stressful and crazy, but it was a wonderful experience. It was amazing to meet such an inspiring songwriter. It was humbling and exciting. Now that it's over, I can't help but feel that I won't be able to top it. We were listening to a Hawksley CD in the car yesterday and I got all choked up. I'm too broke to record and I can't seem to make time to write songs. It's a bummer to remember that after such a high.

I think I'll just have to focus on some aggressive grant writing, and make sure I have the space I need to keep the songs coming. If my next album does as well as my last one, maybe there's a chance I could do this sort of gigging a little more often. I love music and I'm not planning on stopping, ever. I'm going to keep working for every step forward. It's the way I've always done it, and it seems to be working.

******************************************************


PS, The show will be broadcast in October. I'll let you know the exact date when I have it!

3 comments:

Milan said...

The show was great, and I am sure your new album will be excellent.

Even better things are ahead!

Shawna Caspi said...

Oh baby, it's just a hell of a stepping stone. It's up from here, I know it!

Also, grants for sures.

(oh yeah, I get to see you SOON! awesome.)

(also, did you notice you got an entire community of bloggers and people like your grade 7 computer teacher to see you play a giant theatre show across the river? That's some love. Happy love.)

EK said...

Keep us updated about the date! And never stop. You are a fabulous musician -- really one of my favourites, and not just because I know you. Silvering is one of my favourite songs of ever. And every time I play your CD for someone new, they fall in love with you. I'm going to go broke buying all my friends your CD if this keeps up!

And remember-- if you come research in Halifax, you MUST play a gig, so your new fans can have the privilege of hearing you live. Keep up the great "gigging"!