January 9, 2010

Too Cool for School

|

Thank you Zazzle.


This morning I attended my first rehearsal with my high school's alumni choir. It was brilliantly fun.

As I expected, singing with the church choir over the past few months reminded me of how much I love group singing. Although the timing of these rehearsals isn't terribly convenient, I'm going to make a real effort to show up.

We sang through a handful of numbers - very quickly, actually. I'm not used to singing with such experienced sight readers (as fun as the church choir was, it wasn't really advanced). We read through an R. Murray Schafer piece that is so damn hard, I have no idea how we will pull it off, experienced sight readers or not.

If you're curious about how a choral piece could really be that tricky, take a moment and watch this choir tackle it. Choir isn't for chumps, yo. (Some people are under the impression that being in a choir isn't as cool as being in, say, a brass ensemble. I respectfully disagree. You don't get any cooler than a mastered Schafer piece. Pfffft, parades.....)

I wish I had something a little more stimulating to tell you about, but I'm spent. Must be all those weird pentatonic scales.
Night, puppies.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

I think the choir Lesley was in did that piece!

Murray Schafer is my all-time hero. *swoon*

Shawna

Hannah said...

Glad you're enjoying your choir, even if it is challenging!
My singing voice sounds like a cat getting run over, so there is no chance that I would ever join a choir! LOL