Today I found out what my work schedule will look like over the next six months, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a mini panic attack right there in the board room.

The days of saying I have a pretty chill job are OVAH, my dear readers. Bring the crazy. This may kill my songwriting mojo for good.

In order to distract myself from the impending meltdown, I'd like to direct you all to my good friend XUP's blog. She needs help with a letter from a reader, and it's really too good not to check out. That's not gay talk, that's natural talk. (You'll have to read the post to get it) (It's really worth it, I promise)

Isn't the internet amazing? All the psychos you try to avoid in everyday life, funneled into your inbox.

But seriously, speaking of the internets, I'm starting to notice a trend. I've got more and more friends dropping off Facebook, leaving their blogs, unplugging themselves from the world wide web. At the same time, sites like Twitter are exploding (admittedly, I still don't get the appeal of this one), and iPhones / Blackberries see to it that people are never more than a click away from their mail.

Where's the balance? Where are we headed?

I think I could go either way. Right now, I love me some technology. I like having access to my e-mail, my blog, my other sites and my friends with the touch of a button or two.

However, if I ever felt that I had one too many trolls, or one too many psychotic e-mails, I would consider changing my lifestyle dramatically. Kill the sites, shut down the account, and get by with the basics. I've done it before in the face of The Crazy, and I would do it again. No regrets.

I know that I've been warned of certain creeps by my friends online, and I've warned others. Generally, it's manageable with a good community and a beefy stat counter.

What about you? Stalkers and creeps are an unfortunate part of the internet... But how much is too much? What would make you unplug? Where is your line between funny / strange / scary?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only ever had a couple of weird issues - nothing that would make me shut down and hide. If it got to that point, I suppose I'd have bigger things to worry about than whether or not to maintain the blog. But about your job - how is it that you're going to have all this work when the rest of government is pretty much shut down? With Parliament out for more than 2 months all sorts of stuff is on hold. Nothing is going to be signed off, plus it's year-end when there's no money for anything anyway. Whaddup with your deparment?

Nat said...

Stalkers haven't been much of an issue, I get the odd spammy comments.

Work is sucking the life force out of me... I am toying with taking a IS-04 just about anywhere just to get the hell out of dodge...

zoom said...

Shutting down my blog because of a stalker would be a bit like closing the barn door after the horse escaped. I've had a couple of people who freaked me out by going to great lengths to find out who I really was, but it turned out they were just curious, not dangerous, and we ended up becoming friends.

I've noticed too that a number of blogs have been abandoned or shut down recently, and it makes me sad.