August 15, 2008

Pickles

|

Last night I stayed home to paint the rest of my kitchen. I had it all planned out. My supplies were sitting right in front of me, the cabinets were washed, and I had my painting outfit (ie pajamas) ready to go.

I took one look at the pile of stuff, grabbed my purse, and headed out the door to go food shopping. My Life Organic order had come in, and with a few extra ingredients, I could try out some recipes that I'd been drooling over. The second I left the apartment, I gave up on painting. I wanted to cook.

Cooking makes me so happy. It's an immediate de-stresser. Since we moved, I've been cooking more out of necessity than anything, and I get almost no pleasure out of that. Sacrificing my evening of painting to slave away in front of the stove made me feel incredibly happy. And oh man, the food.

I made:

Pickled zucchini (amazing and easy)

Boiled organic beets

Grilled eggplant with goat cheese and tomatoes (damnit! where did I get this recipe from?)

Sweet pepper salad with organic corn (I used orange, yellow and PURPLE sweet peppers. I didn't even know purple sweet peppers existed!)

It took several hours and a few incidents with the smoke alarm, but it was totally worth it. I also discovered that Morty loves sweet peppers, so we both got our fill of veggies over the course of the evening. The pickled zucchini is waiting for me in the fridge.... It's so good that I think I'll make another batch this weekend.

Speaking of the weekend, it can't come quickly enough. I wait with baited (and strained) breath.

0 comments: