March 3, 2010

MF HOUSE

|

Internet!!!

The inspection went well. Not perfectly, seeing as how part of the house is about 100 years old, but well enough that we can go ahead and buy that sucker without having to worry about the foundation crumbling beneath us.

WOOT! Happy dance!

Now, this process has all happened very quickly, but let me tell you about a trend I've identified. I tell someone I've bought a house. They congratulate me. They ask me about some of my plans - I mention a few. Then they say, "Oh, you don't want to do THAT...." followed by between ten and twenty minutes of advice that *so far* has been completely ill-suited to my house.

I'm trying to be gracious, but I've been devoting a few hours per day to hearing people's opinions on a house they haven't seen. It's difficult to sort the good advice from the insulting advice too - because I'm young-ish, people lecture me.

Yes, this is my first house, but I came prepared. I've been reading books on buying and fixing houses for years. I've been financially preparing for about four years. I have really skilled people working with me. So I know which walls I can knock down, what I can bulldoze, what repairs I need to make right away, and whether or not I got a good deal on the building. I know about insulation and vapour barriers and knob and tube wiring. I can drag myself through a crawlspace like a pro. I can recognize dry rot when I see it. I know all about the slope of the house and what it means. I'll probably make mistakes here and there, but I feel pretty good about my abilities, you know?

(Had to get that out of my system. I'm sure you understand.)

Back to the happy stuff: I BOUGHT A MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE!

10 comments:

Bob said...

Congratulations! When's the first house concert?

Heather said...

Congratulations -- I'm very happy your inspection went well and that you will soon be the happy owner of an older house. (I expect too that your, ah, recently injured area is also glad you've reached this stage.)

We're still waiting on the new owner for our place but with a little luck that person will come along soon enough. (Yes I'm impatient -- I have a cross-country move to organize and way too many books to pack up.)

EK said...

You know so many house things! Remind me to call you up when I someday start house shopping...

PS: CONGRATS!!! This is so exciting.

Finola said...

Wonderful news! We live in a 70 year old house and have done a lot of work on it. I wouldn't trade my older home for something new in a million years.

skylark said...

Mazel Tov!!

aandjblog said...

Congrats!! That's so great! I bet you'll find lots of cool ways to decorate.

Where did you buy?

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

WOO HOO!! So exciting, especially a first house! And I know all too well the unwanted "advice". Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm impressed you can do so much house stuff on your own. Good for you!

We have a 60+ year old house, and love it, despite the problems with it. Wouldn't have it any other way. And, I grew up in a 100+ year old home, and adored it.

Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with joe except for his final sentence. Other than that I know nothing about buying or restoring houses. Wooooot for you!

Stella said...

Bob: You'll know if it happens!

Heather: I'm sending you happy house thoughts.

LC: Thanks! Yay!

Finola: Old houses are the new black.

Skylark: Erev tov! (I have a very limited reservoir of Hebrew these days)

Joe: I am seriously offended that you'd even suggest that. NO, I WILL NOT MAKE OUT WITH YOU.

J: I just want it to stop looking like 1982 in there.

Mary: Thanks! I'm just learning, but I think it will be fun.

XUP: Joe's a perv, obviously.

. said...

woot, congrats! I'm hoping to take that big step in the next 5 years too. I'm pretty terrified, so good on you for taking that big leap!