March 6, 2010

True Vintage

I don't move for several months, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to show you some of the vintage flooring I'll have the pleasure of ripping out once we take over the house.

Observe.

Red quasi-leopard print carpeting:


Linoleum from the... 40s maybe? It's old, dudes.


Original hardwood. I'll keep this.


Staying within budget for the repairs I need to do is going to be a giant challenge. I'm waffling between hiring contractors or doing it myself. If I did it myself, I'd need to take a couple of courses (drywall and hardwood installation, mostly), but that would be dirt cheap compared to the cost of hiring a contractor. All things I need to mull over, I guess.


Did I mention that the house is a duplex? I also need to learn how to be a landlord! I'll be renting out part of the house after we take over and rip up the floors.


I think I'm going to learn a lot over the next year.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I am oddly attracted to that linoleum even though I'd take it out too.

. said...

I really dig that red carpet. I've never seen anything like it!
The linoleum reminds me of stuff we had at our cottage, which was last redecorated in the early 40s!

Meanie said...

the linoleum is kinda shabby chic, i kinda like it too!
congrats, that is awesome.

MAdele said...

The carpet is awesome!

Chelle said...

I love ALL of that flooring. Don't kill it!