March 26, 2010

Broken Record

|

At risk of sounding like a broken record, there's not a lot of juicy bloggable stuff going on at the moment. I am inching closer to starting a home reno blog, though. I think it would complement this one, since I don't think I'm ready to give up on Hella Stella.

Brain dump:

I have a very, very long list of things I'm slowly checking off. This week I booked the movers, the plumber and the electrician. Next I have to book the furnace / hot water heater dudes. We are upgrading those suckers! (The old furnace and the tank, not the dudes) I also need to hammer down some dates to meet with a cabinetmaker and a contractor. (Haha, hammer.... The wit slays you, no?)

I'm showing the house to potential tenants next weekend. They seem lovely, so it would be fun if they liked the upstairs apartment. However, seeing as how it currently has a bad case of UGLY, I don't know if they'll be able to see past the dusty rose walls and the fake panelling. These are things I'll be fixing as soon as I take possession, but still - ugly is ugly. Worst case scenario, I'll find tenants after I finish prettying up the space.

My former landlord from my days in Old Ottawa South has agreed to meet with me to talk about, well, how to be a landlord. I do not plan to learn by making really awful mistakes. Granted, the mistakes will happen, but I'd rather be as informed as possible about the process. It's going to be fun - I always liked her. She was saucy.

My BH and I met with our very gay real estate lawyer last week. He broke down how much money we had to give him in a nice, itemized list. It was very fun, except near the end when I saw the total. Then I cried a bit on the inside.

Hmmm, after reading over this post, I guess I see why I haven't had much to say. My life has been swallowed by this house business. Hopefully y'all don't mind hearing about real estate for a bit, because I think it's consumed my mind.

In other news, Morty kicked me in the ribs while he was dreaming last night, and I have a big ol' bruise now. I'd be annoyed if he wasn't so freaking cute. Dude has wicked vivid dreams (and wicked strong legs, apparently).

7 comments:

Finola said...

I'm enjoying your posts about your new house, and I hope you will write about your renos. I can sure relate to fixing up an old house!

Heather said...

I rather like the real estate posts since they're the equal and opposite of my current life. (We sold the house and now are trying to find good housing in Halifax.) It's oddly refreshing to read about someone else's housing semi-obsessions.

aandjblog said...

If you have any questions about landlord stuff, feel free to email me. We're always up for discussing all things landlordy.. maybe meet for a drink at the Elmdale. :P

Nat said...

Sounds like you're handling it better than The Man did. We ended up at Civic because he thought he was having a heart attack...

He nearly fainted when we signed the final paper work. NOT GOOD...

Unknown said...

Hey! Don't forget my brother-in-law is a cabinetmaker/contractor. Might be helpful if you want a friendly estimate.

Stella said...

Finola: Oh good.... There will be lots for you to read about here then!

Heather: Congrats on selling your place!

J: That's a great idea. We'll have to plan it.

Nat: Seriously??

Will: I actually didn't remember that.... Good to know!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Nat's Man. Just reading about it all is giving me palpitations...