November 13, 2008

Three Years Too Late

One useful thing I did on my day off was call SOCAN. I joined several years ago and pretty much heard nothing back. Ever.

I should have called several years ago, of course, but it was the last thing on my mind. It's a good thing I got around to calling at all though, because they never got the package I sent them to register my songs, and I've been doing everything wrong regarding my live performances. Let that be a lesson to those of you who do the SOCAN thing. Make sure you do it right! They only keep their stuff on file for one year, and then you get zip in terms of royalty money.

I suspect the lady on the phone thought I was a weirdo because Morty kept groaning in the background throughout our conversation. He also made these really dramatic sighs that I'm sure got picked up by the receiver. I probably should have clarified that it was a puppy making those noises, just so she didn't think there was a bored/aroused/pained human sitting beside me. Oh well. I make a great first impression. I know.

So this budget thing is getting pretty exciting. Mark helped me spiff up my excel sheet and now I'm off to the races. So far I've learned that it's five million times easier to control your spending when you're collecting receipts. For the first time in years, I'm actually taking note of how much everything costs. It's a nice feeling. I'm starting to think that I'd be happy to have a budget forever... Not just when I'm tight on cash.

My BH is making chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats tonight, so I'll catch up with you guys tomorrow when I'm ten pounds heavier. Kiss kiss.

4 comments:

aandjblog said...

what does it mean when you start collecting SOCAN? Do you get a monthly check in the mail, because someone plays one of your songs at a wedding? I'm in the dark about this kind of stuff. I hope that if you get a monthly check in the mail, it's for millions and more millions. :D Wishing you all the best.

Stella said...

SOCAN is an organization that distributes royalties to Canadian musicians... So if you get played on certain radio stations, or if you perform at a fee-paying venue (sadly not a wedding) then you get some money. Thank you for your wish that it be millions and millions... I suspect it will be closer to $50. :)

Anonymous said...

Rice Krispies are grossly overpriced. I hope you're using the generic brand in order to stay within your budget. (it's rice -- puffed up...so one box of puffed rice is made from about 3 cents worth of rice...the box costs more) And don't even get me started on marshmallows.

Stella said...

XUP, we are vigorously enforcing our budget! So yes, generic brand only. And damn they were good.