December 12, 2008

'Tis the Season of Parties

|

Last night was my staff Christmas party. It was way, way more fun than I expected.

At my previous job, the Christmas parties were awkward and stiff, and everyone sat around checking their Blackberries. The tickets were expensive and the food sucked. People couldn't wait to leave.

After last night, however, I now believe you can judge the character of a workplace by their Christmas parties. The food was good, the alcohol was better, and the entertainment portion of the evening was ACTUALLY ENTERTAINING. Yes, I was coerced into singing a duet with my boss, and yes, it ended up being a U2 song. Still, we had a good time and I got to play a kazoo solo. I can't even make this stuff up.

Other than feeling a little rough around the edges this morning, I am quite happy I didn't cop out like last year.*

This evening: watching Muppet's Christmas Carol, getting drunk, eating salad, crashing at a friend's. YES.

*In my defence, I missed last year's Christmas party completely by accident. I went to get my hair cut after work, and because I was at a fancy spa, they gave me glasses of white wine all through the dying/washing/cutting process. Two hours later, I was drunk as hell and wandering around downtown, trying to figure out how to get myself to the party venue. I eventually cut my losses and went home.

4 comments:

Milan said...

I love the Muppet movies, especially Christmas Carol and Treasure Island.

Stella said...

Me too! Muppet's Christmas Carol is my very favourite holiday movie.

Tragically, the X-Box we use as a DVD player doesn't recognize it... :( Depressing.

Anonymous said...

Office Christmas parties always bring out the "off" in Office. We have 3 and I'm planning to enjoy them all to the fullest extent

Anonymous said...

i agree with xup. work christmas parties can be fun and sometimes embarrasing.