December 4, 2008

Duet

|

For those of you following the madness in the House of Commons, I will say this much.

When I saw Mr. Dion speaking last night in a badly-taped segment, sitting directly in front of a book whose spine read "hot air" (did you notice? it was there) I knew the coalition was toast. So as exciting as this past week has been, I can't say that I am very surprised by the Governor General's decision to prorogue the House.

Now we wait and see what happens.

In non-political news:

I have been getting airplay in France, which I didn't really believe until my site traffic started to spike. Yay France! You are delightful!

My BH and I bought these dark chocolate caramel things that are rolled in crunchy salt. You know what sucks? Trying to balance your cravings with the knowledge that you are fighting off an infection in your wisdom tooth. And then dealing with the guilt of choosing the chocolate. Booo.

During that same shopping trip, we set aside a chunk of our budget to buy things for a local women's shelter. Following recommendations from friends, we picked up $35 in shampoo, conditioner, soaps, toothbrushes, cake mix, and yummy granola bars. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun shopping. I think I'll make this a regular thing, even though I'm not exactly rolling in money.

Remember when I said I wasn't going to sing at the staff Christmas party? HAH. When I told my manager, he expressed dismay that he wouldn't be able to join me on stage in a duo. To which I jokingly responded, "Well, if you're singing with me, I'll do it." To which he seriously responded, "Great! Let's pick a song."

Allow me to react within the confines of this blog: NOOOOOOOO!!! I THOUGHT I WAS FREEEEE!!!

Instead I am searching for a suitable duet to sing with my boss. Something telephone or work-themed. I've gotten some good suggestions, but the floor is open to anyone who has an idea. Please keep in mind that I may be slightly intoxicated at this event, so nothing that involves complicated chord progressions would be appreciated.

A lot of buses were detoured this morning, and will be every morning for a long time. I guess that's what happens when an important bridge is found to be structurally unsound. Although I'm a pretty patient person, the thought of waking up an hour earlier to make my way to work makes me want to cry.

That's about all my brain can offer today...

6 comments:

aandjblog said...

Did you know that you only work 1 floor underneath A.?

Small world.

Milan said...

Quite probably, the 'hot air book' was Jeffrey Simpson and Mark Jaccard's "Hot Air: Meeting Canada's Climate Change Challenge."

One of the most difficult things to predict about this Liberal-NDP coalition is what sort of climate policies they would endorse, how credibly they could do so, and how much effort they would devote to it.

Milan said...

The Chaudière bridge is a real pain. I sure hope the Ottawa transit people don't decide to go on strike next Wednesday...

Anonymous said...

They should have waited until after the Liberals picked a new leader. There was nothing in the "economic statement" which warranted the NDP and the Liberals getting together with such bizarre urgency. If they had waited then in six months they'd be kicking back with a few Cuba Libra's in total control.

Congratulations about France... that must be totally surreal having people listening to your work all over the world.

Anonymous said...

Sing "Smooth Operator".

Stella said...

J: That's effed! Who knew?

Milan: I don't doubt that it's a valid book, I just can't imagine what his staff was thinking. And that makes me nervous about his (in) capabilities as a leader. My hands are over my ears and I'm not thinking about a possible strike... Lalalala....

Gabriel: Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting. I love the idea of a coalition, I just can't stand Dion. Dude's got problems, and I worry that he'd make the coalition unworkable. Thanks about the airply! It's exciting!

Shawna: We obviously share the same brain because that's the first song that came to mind for me too.