September 16, 2010

Sleeping Like a King

|

My BH and I slept well last night for the first time in a long time. By "slept well" I mean that I didn't wake up throughout the night, I wasn't pushed out of bed, I didn't have a bulldog sitting on my head, and I wasn't fighting for blankets. When my alarm went off in the morning, I actually woke up.

This isn't a coincidence. This happened because we finally set aside the money to buy a king-sized mattress.

We've been sharing a double bed with broken springs for many years. Before we had the dogs, we found it to be too small. When Morty came along, it became super tiny. When Frida joined us, I stopped sleeping through the night.

Until last night, I don't think I've slept through the night since April.

A king-sized mattress seems insanely large, to be honest. But as indulgent as it is, it's really the most practical size for us. While I don't move around much at night, my BH is a bit of a flailer, and the dogs don't care much for personal space. Morty in particular feels most comfortable squishing his bum against my cheek. You have no idea what sort of nightmares that causes, most of which are about gas attacks.

We've tried a queen when we stayed at a friend's house, but I was still pushed out of bed when Morty decided to stretch his legs.

King mattress it was. I say "mattress" because the frame is on back order, but dang, I'm happy to sleep without a frame when the mattress is this comfortable.

We bought the Sultan Hamnvik from Ikea. I'm not sure we could have afforded it without Ikea's prices, and honestly, the quality is excellent. If I had realized their mattresses were so inexpensive, I don't think I would have waited this long.

It will be interesting to see if anything changes now that I'm getting proper sleep. Maybe my eyes will be less puffy? One can only hope.

I also want to welcome the new commenters (and thank the old ones too!). It's always a pleasure to have a dialogue with people who read the blog. Sometimes I forget that I'm not just ranting to myself.

8 comments:

Finola said...

My youngest daughter has the sultan mattress from Ikea too, in twin size though. It is the most comfy bed in the house, and I am completely sold on Ikea for mattresses.

Our master bedroom is small so we only have a queen sized bed, but I so wish we could fit in a king.

Milan said...

I hope the new mattress holds up well. My IKEA 'Sultan' matress is now held together with screws and metal brackets I added myself.

Stella said...

Finola: We are very lucky to have a giant bedroom! Guess we'll have to be careful if we ever move...

Milan: Wait wait wait... You put screws and metal brackets in your MATTRESS? I hope you are talking about your frame! We're not getting our frame from Ikea - I didn't think they looked sturdy enough.

Milan said...

My frame and mattress are integrated. There are wooden slats along the bottom which are held in place with staples and break very easily. My bed makes awful creaking noises whenever you move in it.

Stella said...

Aah. I bought the mattress alone, and it's great. The frame is a platform-style bed, so there won't be any worries about staples or weight.

Milan said...

Good to hear!

Jennifer said...

I can not say enough great things about the king sized bed + pets thing. The first thing I do every morning is look around to see how many pets are in the bed with us because I can't tell otherwise. Too much glorious space around me.

Nat said...

Aye, we have no bulldogs because The Man informs me that we would like animals that purr. Fucking cat people. Hence, the queen is big enough for us.

Alas, I was up most of the night listening to The Boy cough. No clue how I did it when he was little. Good night's sleep definitely underratd.